Saturday, October 27, 2012

Entering the world of custom map development

Lately, I have been feeling like I want to try my hand at making a custom map, like the ones in Vechs' series, Super Hostile. Today, I thought I'd show off some of my best and/or newest map development-related creations.

First, we have an older one, the Firenut tree. It is, in a nutshell, a ghast fireball turret for you to use, but decorated.  That also makes it so you have to figure out what it is, first.
The lore behind it is that they are a tree from the nether, created from a mutated ghast fireball. Firenuts grow fruits that taste moist but extremely spicy, if you even do manage to eat one, and when jerked around too much, will start flying infinitely, until it hits something. When it does, it creates a fiery explosion.







Next, I thought I'd show off a tweak I made to Vechs' anti-bridging bomb design. I found that, the block holds the torch that lights the TNT can be sand, and if you put another sand block on top of it, you can have 5 more blocks of TNT.


My 9-TNT (or ``pine cone``) bridging bomb.



For those of you who have never seen Vechs' video on the bomb, they detect bridging with floating, invisible ladders. Ladders aren't allowed to float in Minecraft, so an adjacent block modification will cause them to fall. When the ladders fall, the bottom sand block falls, and so does the redstone torch, which is keeping another one directly above it off. When the torch turns on, it ignites the TNT, which then begins obeying physics.


Vechs' 4-TNT bomb (left) versus my 9-TNT bomb (right). Not that big of a difference, but mine covers a slightly bigger area.
...Why does mine look like Kirby's face?




Now, let's talk about my model of proximity bomb. Again, this is one of Vechs' concepts. Mine, however, uses TNT spawners to detonate and sense players wandering near it. It is slime-proof, and is more or less as compact as his model.




Here`s a cutaway view. Normally, there`s another layer on top and on the widest sides of the bomb. The iron bars represent the spawner, and the red wool represents TNT. The tripwires are meant to give the player a fair warning that bad stuff is coming when the TNT spawns on them, ignites more TNT due to the hooks pulsing a redstone charge, and also works as an excuse to add more TNT. The glowstone serves the purpose of not letting cave sound effects to play from inside.

Also, please note there`s another tripwire pocket on the other side of the spawner.



When the TNT spawns in on the tripwire, UUhhhh... this happens.



The crater left behind by the bomb. Mwah-hah-hah!




One thing I thought I`d note: the bomb range I`m demonstrating on has three layers of sand, the rest being stone.

The last invention I wanted to show off is the Permatime machine. It uses the minecart technology made by Sethbling. It pulses into a toggle, or T-flip-flop. Every second time the T-flip-flop toggles, a time set command runs, which tends to go off every approx. 4 minutes. The mechanism is encased in two layers of bedrock, and again, the red wool represents TNT. The button in the back is a self-destruct mechanism, which triggers a teleport command, and takes the player to safety.




Well, that's it for today! I hope you enjoyed seeing my creations, and I will be doing more of this stuff in the future.

Wait. here's a map I started a day or two ago, called Slab Search - Midnight pines. The spawn point is the clearing on top of this hill. The lights are redstone torches marking monster spawners.

As always, thanks for stopping by my blog, and feedback/comments are appreciated. See you next post! Until then!

0 comments:

\8D/

\8D/
My ever-changing Minecraft skin...

Which World is Best to Play On?

Fire_Cat2000's Blogs