Buggy Translator!

Powered by Blogger.
Tuesday, August 5, 2014

My Annoying Piston Problem

Hello, I'm N8thanH, and welcome back to Across the Map!

After going on vacation and a crazy week of summer art camp, I'm back, and also the first art student in the history of my camp to have gotten art homework. Yeah, that too. :l

I have been working on my SSP world lately; the one from my LP. I've been working on improving the map, in hopes of creating a more interesting series to watch. As you probably don't know, on this world, I live in an epic manor home. It's like my favorite thing to take screenies with. It's very large, but very comfortable, and I have improved it lots since I built it, and continue to make it more awesome.



Enough about how great my house is, and on to what I wanted to do inside it.

Right below this text is my pantry. To find it, just hang a right at the doorway, and head through the kitchen. This is where I keep my crafting and brewing supplies, general blocks and plants, food items, excreta. It's quite organized.


On the other hand... My closet? Not so much. Ironically, it's directly above the pantry. It's not as fancy, but the chests themselves are just as organized. :p


This is where I keep my more personal items, and the bulkier categories of stuff. Such as my treasure...


And every wood block I own.

The hard part of living in my house is that whenever I need something from my pantry from upstairs, I have to run all the way to the other side of my house...


(Oh, yeah. There is my cat, Fuzzy Peaches! We live here together. Solo style! :D)

...Up the stairs...


...Through the bonus room...


...And into my bedroom. I effectively have to walk the length of my house twice to get up there. :/


Like I said before, my closet is directly above the pantry. For convenience, I thought, why not make a secret Slime Block spring in the floor, for when 1.8 comes out?

After much tinkering, I came up with a working floor spring, which would be ready to be installed in my house at a moment's notice, if not for a Slime Block + Piston quirk, which stops the device from working right.

Here are some screenshots of how it looks. I won't go into detail on it here, but I may do a Redstone Room episode on it, when it does what it's supposed to accomplish.


However, I will explain what happens when I push the button. First, the horizontal piston moves its block out of the way, as the regular (non-sticky) piston below it retracts. Then, momentarily, the Piston with the Slime Block attached shoots up, and retracts. The only thing is that it carries the cover block with it in this instance. Note that the non-sticky piston is just for my testing. If Slime Blocks worked the way I wanted them to, it wouldn't be needed.



Obviously, if I were to add a floor, the piston would most likely drag parts of it into the ground. So, I would need Obsidian blocks to stop it. But, of course, the goal is to make this device as subtle as I can. So, I would need to place the Obsidian below the ground. However, this would trigger the one quirk: if a Slime Block Piston's block fails to move blocks (that are normally movable), the block gets stuck.


When I tried adding the Obsidian, this was the result. The Slime Block was in the way of the horizontal Piston, so it just did this. Making it so that it can't push the floor doesn't help either. It just gets jammed.

To summarize, in order for this device to work correctly, pushed Slime Blocks would need to move when failing to drag blocks. Currently, in such a situation, Slime Blocks simply get stuck. When/if this quirk is fixed, this launcher would work perfectly.

Also, it's time for the Impromptu Random Bonus Screenshot of the Day! 

This one mostly speaks for itself...



My caption: This isn't creepy... This isn't creepy... THIS ISN'T CREEPY!!! Actually, it's tremendously creepy, so I was technically correct!}:D

Well, that's it for today. As always, your comments are appreciated, and thanks for stopping by my blog!

I'll see you all next post. Until then!

0 comments:

\8D/

\8D/
My ever-changing Minecraft skin...

Which World is Best to Play On?

Fire_Cat2000's Blogs