Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Minecraft Project: Creating a Large Custom Island - Part 1: The Seabed


Hello, I'm N8thanH, and welcome back to Across the Map!

I hope your summer has been going nicely so far!

Sometimes, I go on these pondering rambles in my mind, just by thinking of one thing, then being reminded of another or remembering something related, repeating that, and coming up with some sort of idea.

Thinking of summer time, and the ocean, I got the idea to make a subtropical island in Minecraft! Right here, I will be documenting my design process. If you wish to follow, I'd suggest getting good at your world editor, first. For today, I will be using MCEdit. When somebody mentions a map editor, this is the program that usually comes to mind.

To start things off, I have generated a Customized world, with a preset with the following specifications. Also below are screenshots of what this Preset generates like, with and without Night Vision.

These are the traits of the Preset:

  • No chances of spawning Gravel or Dirt
  • No Mineshafts, Strongholds, or Dungeons
  • Biome: Ocean
  • Height Strech: 21.133 (Advanced Setting, makes terrain more flat.)

Have you ever seen the Far Lands from Beta 1.8 to Release 1.7?  With the lack of shadows and simple terrain, this is exactly what the 'fake' terrain looks like. The only giveaway is the Squids; mobs do not spawn in the Far Lands. In 1.8, the fake terrain doesn't render, and you just see the new world border. *Sigh...*


Okay. I'm now going to head over to MCEdit, now that enough of the map has been generated. You may want to look around in-game to find a relatively flat area, if you are following along. Here we go!

The first step: clearing out the water. I decided to take a large square of fairly flat terrain, and I replaced Water with Air, to make my life easier, and avoid any extra mess. Feel free to clear more water, if you feel like your island will need more space. I will probably end up doing that, since it doesn't seem like there is much space, but that's always the case in this editor.


Alright, now that the water is gone, we can get to work on the terrain smoothing! To do this, I just went to town on any hills I noticed with a very large Erosion brush. The terrain is a bit too rough, though. We will address this shortly. Also, I believe I expanded the water-free area.
 

Once all the hills toward the center of the island are smoothed out, it's on to smoothing it out. I did this by slicing by with a really flat brush. Be conscious of your depth perception; if you miss-stroke, you will have to undo!

Also, you may need to fill in any areas that dip too low. I found such an area right here.


I'm going to try something new. What would happen if we were to use the Smooth filter? I've never tried it. Word on the street is that MCEdit was meant to help players cope with updates to maps. Maybe it can clean up itself? If I don't like its antics, I can always hit Undo. But, if it crashes the program, then we have a problem.

So, I decided to try the filter on this hill, which has been annoying; it rests right on my little hand-made boundary, and is barely generated. For those reasons, I can't really fix it by hand...


It worked, dare I say PHENOMENALLY well. My props to whoever coded this filter; Codewarrior, I assume? 


I want to try it on a larger scale. I'll do it in this area, which is just slightly rugged.


It's an improvement, but I'm not quite as impressed as I was with the first test.

I'm almost done. I just need to fill this spot in before I continue, then we will run the Topsoil filter to patch up any stone that is showing.


Time to use the Topsoil filter! To match with the Gravel, I will set it to a depth of one. If you want to, you can use the Topsoil brush version with Sand, or whatever you fancy.

Here is one last look before I run the filter...


We will see what the finished seabed looks like in-game. I still have some cleanup to do, mostly just with this area.

Before you head in-game, I recommend you make a backup if you are following along, just in case you trigger a flood accidentally. To do this, just go to Resource Packs, hit Open Resource Pack Folder, go up a level, enter 'saves,' and copy your world to another location. I keep a folder in .minecraft called World Backups, where I paste in my backup, and add the day's date to the file name.

Check out all the green blocks in the background. That is where I ran a /kill command on every squid in my vicinity.

Now, here is the seabed in-game, with the gravel in place! Now that we are in-game, we can really see where we need to smooth stuff out. But, I will start with that cave that poked through, then proceed to smooth out the terrain.


When you are filling in a cave like this, you may find floating blocks that shouldn't float. Be sure to place a block below each. In my case, I need to prevent all cave-ins, since I am near the water wall. I don't want to set off a chain reaction.

If you are in the same situation where you need to avoid cave-ins, be sure to not place blocks next to floating ones while trying to stop a different one from levitating, like in this case. In this case, I would need to secure the bottommost floating blocks first.


If you appreciate natural-looking terrain, you will want to smooth out any uneven terrain, and edges that are too rough, or don't belong, like right here. What's up with this?


Just remember to re-add any missing surface coverage after fixing the terrain, like this exposed stone.


Also, be sure to see the Impromptu Random Bonus Screenshot of the Day! In today's screenshot, we see an item frame that I placed with a book in it, from the time I hooked up a Nether portal for ThunderrCat. Only, she took the book, and somebody else left this block of dirt in its place.

My caption: Do you want me to interpret this dirt? Is this a subtle message? Okay, if this is how you really feel about things...

I have been doing this for a long while; this project took a lot longer than I expected! Here is a glimpse of the finished seabed! Can you even recognize this area? By the way, sorry about the strange resolution of this screenie. I had Minecraft stretched to half the screen when I took this screenshot; I was chatting with a friend on Skype while I worked.


This post is getting long, so that's it for this week. As always, your feedback is appreciated, and thanks for stopping by my blog! I'll see you all next post. Until then!

0 comments:

\8D/

\8D/
My ever-changing Minecraft skin...

Which World is Best to Play On?

Fire_Cat2000's Blogs