Buggy Translator!

Powered by Blogger.
Monday, January 21, 2013

Beachside Bungalow - Building Tutorial

Hello, I'm N8thanH, and welcome back to Across the Map!

I am on vacation right now. (Actually, that's kinda a lie. I've been procrastinating about finishing this post.) Feeling pretty darn mellow and laid back right now. Today, I think I'll show you guys how to build something mellow and laid back, too: the Beachside Bungalow.

Note that this house design is fully possible to build in survival.


This is what the finished product looks like.


 (Sorry for the lack of in-game video quality (this laptop is slow and old) and FreshCraft (I forgot to transfer the pack :p ) this post.)

Anyways, let's get started!


The very first thing you want to do is place down one log. This will be the far front-right corner of the house.




Step two is to build a rectangle out of logs (for this build, I am using jungle logs) that is wider than it is long, like so. This is the start of the porch. Replace the logs with stairs along the front-left edge. I recommend placing 2 or 3 stair blocks. 


Place a fence along the front and right edge (not over the stairs). On top of the far front-right corner block, (the first one I instructed to place) make a pillar of fences going up five blocks. (Four if you are doing a three-block high ceiling.)
Stupidity alert! I will be doing a four-block high ceiling, but I did a four-block high pillar (for a three-block high ceiling)!
When the fence is done, the porch should look like this:

Note: if you put a fence along any edges that I don't instruct to do, it will throw off the whole building project.

Now it's time to plan out the walls! Make a rectangular perimeter, with the porch being part. Place walls along the left and back edges of the porch.
Actually, I ended up moving the left wall in from where it was. I didn't need as much space as I thought.


Next up, the flooring. I'll be using spruce wood planks, green wool, and cyan wool. Line up the carpet with the left oak wood wall, like in the screenshot.



Y'know, you don't need to use the blocks I do. I do encourage creativity. If you want to, you could build the house out of jungle wood planks. However, I am using the blocks that I find look best for this build. This is a template I invented for testing how wool colors look together. Try building it, and finding a good color combination yourself! Pick a color for carpet, and for a couch.



Moving on, now we need to build the walls up. Make sure to punch out where you will put the windows. It doesn't matter when you put in the glass, but I'll save them for closer to the end. Oh, yes. I also put in a staircase. When you do add one, make sure it's out of the way.



Random song parody: Building N8than style! :D


Next, we need to put the roof on! Place down a big rectangle of building material. (Your building material must have a half-slab variant.) I'll use sandstone. In front, make a line of wood.


Okay. The initial roof is done, but isn't it dark? Let's fix that problem.


I recommend either setting the time to night, or waiting until night to make sure the house is well-lit, even without sunlight, because you don't want THIS guy in your new place. (Don't worry. I used commands to turn off mob griefing here, but you may not have that.)


The obvious part is to put up torches, but some areas of the ceiling are dark, like this one.




To solve that, you can make little glowstone lighting fixtures.



If you are in survival and don't have access to glowstone, you can do this as an alternative:



Anyway, back to the roof! Make a half-slab slope, placing wood like this, going up until the two sides meet.
Once this is done, consider the house near complete.



Don't forget to put in some flooring!


Also, if you see any gaps like this, I recommend filling it in, like in the below picture.



As an alternative, you can make use of this space. If you put upside-down slabs there, you can put chests under the roof.



When the roof is done, it should look like this.
Now, we can go decorate the loft! (Oh, yes. I added a back deck!)

Psst! You can put slabs in the ceiling like this for more headroom! (Note: beds still can't spawn you under a two and a half-block high ceiling.)


Make a carpeted area for your bed and whatnot. (Remember, you don't have to decorate the way I do!)

Below: with the furniture. The important part here is to make sure the beds will set your spawn to the space with a three-block high ceiling. If you try to spawn under a two-block high roof, Minecraft won't allow. As a preferred location, Minecraft will set your bed spawn to the right or left of the foot of your bed. Try obstructing it with other beds, the wall, or a bedside table drawer. That way, it will put you in front of the foot of the bed.


If you want to have pets, like a nice, mellow kitty companion, or a playful wolf, you can make a basket! (Yeah, the cat's Siamese. For some reason, I only ever get this type. If not, black. I've never actually gotten a tabby.)


By the way, if you get this lighting bug, don't rely on it. It may not be there when you reload the map, at night, and it may get fixed at any time. Who knows?

Well, at this point, I think the house is done! You can decorate the place any way you like, but here's how I decorated my house!

The Kitchen




What time is it? You have three seconds.
You got it! It's time for the Impromptu Random Bonus Screenshot of the Day!


Today, we see a slime in the Nether Hub on the server!



 My caption: The dungeon of Lord Floppy! Enter if you dare!
Bonus caption add-on: I think I will and steal his title! I am half Magma Cube, after all.

Back to showing my beloved followers the house interior!

The living room



The Loft
(Sorry for the moonlight glitching in. :p)

Well, that's it for today!
Sorry for not posting much lately. I would highly appreciate it if you left suggestions, and as always,
thanks for stopping by my blog!
See you next post. Until then!



0 comments:

\8D/

\8D/
My ever-changing Minecraft skin...

Which World is Best to Play On?

Fire_Cat2000's Blogs